Andre Onana’s 12-month ban from football has been reduced to nine months following a hearing at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
The Ajax goalkeeper’s hearing took place earlier this month and after a four-hour online session and much consideration, the powers that be have declared that Onana will be allowed to resume training from 4 September onwards, before being allowed to compete again from 4 November.
The decision was announced on Ajax’s official website and could help pave the way for a move to Arsenal this summer – with the faltering Premier League giants believed to have been awaiting the outcome of the hearing before deciding whether or not to pursue a deal with the Eredivisie champions.
In February, Ajax said that Onana accidentally took a drug prescribed to his wife when he woke up on the morning of October 30 feeling unwell.
That was not disputed by European football’s governing body, UEFA, which brought the charge.
The drug, Furosemide, is not known to be performance-enhancing itself but can be used to mask the use of other kinds of doping, according to the World Anti-Doping Agency.
He subsequently failed an out of competition drugs test.
In a statement, Ajax said: “The disciplinary body of the football association has stated that Onana had no intention of cheating.
“However, the European Football Association believes, on the basis of the applicable anti-doping rules, that an athlete has a duty at all times to ensure that no banned substances enter the body.”